Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Advance 2117 - 40s wrap dress in black and red

Today I finally got around to working on Advance 2117, an early 1940s wrap dress.



I made version 2 on the right with no collar and the flutter cape sleeves. I choose a black cotton gauze eyelet fabric with a neat wave pattern to it. For the bias edge/trim I used red gingham and red lace. Here are the results....










I thought it needed a little something-something so I added these two cute cherry bow appliques to the top. What do you think? Too much? I can't decide if I should keep them on or not.

I had originally planned to make the heart pocket in solid red. Once I had it cut out and pinned on I didn't like it so I went for black with red stitching. I think the solid red pocket would have been fine if I have not added the cherry appliques but with them it was a bit much.

The instructions on this pattern were very vauge. They show how to make option 1 with the collar but not option 2 without. Since I know how to sew and draft patterns I figured it out but this would have been confusing for a novice seamstress. The other thing I think was odd was the sizing which only states 'medium 18-20 yrs'. So everyone between those ages are supposed to fit this dress? Lol. The fit of the pattern was ok for the most part. The only change I had to make was that I had to add darts to the front. I don't know if they simply forgot to add them or if the dress was supposed to be shapeless in the front but it definitely needed the darts IMO.
 That's it for my February Make a Month. Now it's time to pick out a new pattern for March!

5 comments:

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Oh don't you love old patterns, I feel sorry for novice sewers they must think they're doing something wrong yet so often it's the pattern. I think the dress looks great!

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

I think it's perfect!! I love the appliques and the red stitching. The fabric is adorable too! I love wrap dresses. They're so easy to comfy and easy to wear, especially if you're going clothes shopping. I just made a wrap dress from that re-release of the 1940's butterick robe. I had to shorten it and alter the ties a bit but it turned out great. I think the next one I make will have to have flutter sleeves like this one though- love it!!

Sweetpaintedlady said...

super gorgeous dress! I picked up a 1940's wrap dress pattern this weekend for only 10 cents ( nz currency) Its unmarked so will have to indure the challange of figuring it out.

XX Miss Rosina Lee

Living Vintage said...

Very cute love flutter sleeves and you can never go wrong with a wrap dress. Good work pretty lady.

Voodoo Stitches said...

Straight Talking Mama! - I know, huh? Another thing about vintage patterns that can have you going mad is trying to figure out how to go about sewing it using a serger since the old patterns are drafted pre-serger. Call me lazy but if I had to bind all the seam edges every time it would make me want to give up sewing, hehe.

Brittany_Va-Voom Vintage - Thanks so much! I also had to shorten this one. I ended up cutting over 6" off the bottom!

Rosina Lee - Wow, 10 cents is a steal of a deal in any currency! The pattern I used was also unprinted. They can be a challange for sure!

Living Vintage - Thanks so much lady! :)