I made mine out of a speckled peach bengaline fabric with solid black cotton contrast. First thing, I *love* the collar, cuffs and pocket design of this dress. The sleeve facing on this was a little tricky and I had to iron, blind stitch and top stitch the begeezus out of them to get it to sit right, but it was worth the effort. And wow-y, look at those pockets! I can already see how useful they will be when I am wearing it to clean the house and use them to store all the little bits and bob you pick up after your family when making the rounds.
Of coarse as with most patterns, I ended up making a few changes. First, I gave the dress a completely different skirt. The skirt that came with the pattern called for a super full gathered waist which after basting in and trying on I hated right away. 1950s gathered waist skirts are just too bulky at your tummy! It was unflattering to say the least, so it had to go. Luckily I had enough fabric left to make a circle skirt instead. Circles are always my go-to skirt. You get all the fullness without any bulk at the waist!
The second thing I changed is that I added the zipper to the back instead of on the side. Am I the only one who hates side zippers? I can't stand them. There is nothing more annoying then trying to wiggle yourself out of a vintage dress with a side zipper without: A. Messing up your hair B. Getting make up smudges all over yourself and your dress C. Hearing the dreaded RIP sound of a torn dress D. All of the above PLUS getting stuck in there!
One thing I will change next time I decide to make a dress from this pattern is lengthen the bodice at the center front waist. If you look at the picture of the side view you can see the front waist is wonky and much higher then the sides and back. This particular dress pattern was sized for 'teens' and at first I didn't think would matter since I fit the measurements listed, but now I see that the teen sizing means it has a short torso. Luckily I am pretty short at 5' 2" so the dress fits me ok other then the odd looking front. Nothing a wide black belt can't hide. But why they would make the front waist so much higher then the back is beyond me!
Would I make this dress again? Maybe. I do love the bodice design but I think next time I will make more changes like a wider opening at the collar/bustline. I also think next time I would make this with an aline skirt instead. All and all a cute dress. So there you have it, Butterick 6820. Reporting out.




4 comments:
Cute those pockets look fabulous!!!
cool dress, guess it will look great with your hair
so schön!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you got a great talent there!
Post a Comment