I don't know what it is but the color PINK has been on my mind lately. It's not just me, I have read in so many other blogs many gals have had the craving for all things pink recently. Thing is, I am not a pink girl. Even when I was a kid I didn't care for the rosey hue. My favorite color is and has always been red. The past few days I have even been toying with the idea of dyeing my hair pink. But I won't...just yet. Instead I decided to get my pink fix with a sugery sweet 'cake' inspired sewing project.
After digging through my fabric stash I found some baby pink rayon liner fabric and the most gorgeous burgundy lace with metallic sparkly bits all through it. Also found- some pink and gold and a some beige beaded appliques I found at a flea market, pink beads and some burgundy cotton lace trim I hand dyed years back.
So what did I do with it? I made this. A 1920s inspired dress that reminds me of sweet raspberry vanilla cake. (Mmmmm...cake.)
I used a self drafted pattern I made about six years ago. I decided to go with a more simple design since color combo, sparkly lace and appliques bits make this an over the top outfit. It's sort of has a circus-y feel to it, don't you think?
All the fabric I've had hidden away for ages. The pink liner I forgot all about, it has been in storage for at least 9 years. I didn't spend a cent on this since I only used what I already had.
The beaded belt wraps around to the back of the dress.
The beige applique was a pain to sew. I broke two needles getting it in. But it is sooooo pretty up close.
I still have the pink shimmery bugel beads I want to work in to this dress. I have not decided it I want to add a beaded design to the center front bodice or just do a simple scattered pattern with them. What do you think? Should I bead in an elaborate pattern or stick with a plain scattered bead design?
11 comments:
I've never been a "pink girl" either, but I've noticed I've been drawn to a lot more pink latley too! I'm really not sure what's going on!
the double layer on it is really cool!! :)
Such a clever design and looks so cute. I am not a pink gal either and it's still not coming to me, but I AM a red gal!
I love that you had all these beautiful materials just tucked away in your stash and then they all came together so beautifully, it must be fate! It's a gorgeous dress, I'd love to see a shot of it on you, I bet it looks amazing. I think I'd go for a scattered bead effect on the bodice as a pattern might overwhelm the other details. I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)
Looks great! I too struggle with pink...especially since it was such a popular color in the 50s. So I'll love the design of a dress, house ware, jewelry, etc but not want to buy it because its pink. This is great tho cuz the burgundy cuts the "cuteness" of the pink and gives it such a great vintage feel. Beautifully put together!
You made this! Dang you have skills. It's so cute! I wanna see it on.
I am a pink girl and orange and turquoise but I used to be all about black and red. I think our tastes change as we get older and we become attracted to certain colors and less to others.
Go for it girl, follow what attracts you!
As you know, I'm not a pink girl, but I put some pink bits in my hair last week too!
Is there something in the planets that no-one has made us aware of?
Miss you
xx
Wow, that is super cute! I would wear that all the time.
I love all the colors together! It does have a lil circusy feel to it but I love it. Also, I think you should stick with the scattered bead design.
this is so gorgeous! love your site, it's like eye candy haha =)
http://makeupmajesty.blogspot.com/
back of this dress is very lovely. Good job :)
Post a Comment