Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The 1950s petal bust dress that got away

 If money was no concern and you could afford to buy any vintage dress your heart desired (no matter the crazy price!) what would it be? Mine would be this beauty:


These are pictures of a dress from Ebay auctions from years ago. I have NO idea who made it or what it sold for. These pictures have been stored in the 'inspiration' folder of my computer for a long time. All I know is that I *want* a dress similar to this. Not in this color combo and maybe with a straight skirt instead. But one with a built in bra and with that faboo petal bust!



 For ages I have revisited these pictures and pictures of a few other dresses with similar bust shapes day dreaming about owning one of my own.




 So what am I waiting for? It's time to design and draft up a petal bust dress of my own. After sketching up a few ideas, I came up with this:


 
 I choose a striped fabric because I happen to have a bunch of striped fabric which means I don't have to spend any money to make this dress happen. I will need to draft this pattern out but it will be fairly easy since I already have a similar bodice and skirt already drafted. All I need to do is add in that pleat to the skirt and the petal bust to the top of the bust. So! Step one - designing the dress - is done. Now I just need to draft out the pattern which I will do tomorrow. To make this a 'design-a-long' I will post pictures of my progress on this project.






5 comments:

Dolly Cool Clare said...

That first dress is stunning. I like dresses that are fit & flare as im a whole dress size and a half smaller on top than bottom so its much more flattering!
I have been thinking more and more about learning to dressmake properly and I think your blog will inspire me to do this..good luck with the dress can't wait to see it finished!

Straight Talking Mama! said...

oh I love petal bust dresses, I had one years ago but I was several dress sizes smaller than I am now. They are so stunning! good luck, can't wait to see the finished product

Betty2Tone said...

I love everything about the design you're doing! I can't wait to see the finished dress!

Atomic Mama said...

OOh cant wait to see!

doradadama said...

I love petal dresses.your so talented.cant wait to see it.